Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Potato Soup

This recipe is written for my sister. At Christmas, she asked for my recipe. Unfortunately, I don’t (didn’t) have one. So I made my potato soup last night, and wrote a recipe (the first for me). Here you go April. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
10-12 medium Potatoes (depending on how many potatoes you want in the soup)
1 medium onion
Salt
Pepper
4 cups milk

Roux:
10 ½ Tablespoons flour
2/3 cup milk + 4 tablespoons milk.

Toppings:
Cheese
Sour Cream
Bacon

Method:
Scrub your potatoes and dice. (you can also peel the potatoes if you want, we leave the skin on)
Wash potatoes one more time and place in your soup pot.
Cover with water and boil until they are fork tender.
While the potatoes are going, dice up your onion and sauté with butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
Once the potatoes are fork tender, put 4 cups of milk in with the potatoes and water.
Add salt and pepper to taste. (I used 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of my pepper mill)
Simmer for five minutes.
You will now need to add the roux to the mixture to start thickening the soup. To do this, place flour and milk into a jar with a lid and shake. Pour the mixture into the soup pot.
Simmer 5-10 minutes, do not let it boil (if you do, a skin will appear on the top and you will need to skim it off).
At this point, based on your consistency that you want you can add more milk (Slowly).
Season one last time with salt and pepper to taste.

Top with cheese, sour cream, and bacon. Enjoy!


As with all recipes, this is just an example. You can add more herbs to the soup (which we have done).

**Last night it was a great consistency, but when I opened a container this morning, it looked a little thick. When I microwaved it at work, it was fine for me. If this happens with your leftovers, then feel free to reheat with a little milk to the consistency that you like.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!!! We got 6 inches of snow here last night and now I see this and I am SOOOOO craving potato soup. :-(

    ReplyDelete