Friday, December 10, 2010

Twice Baked Potatoes

I (Angela) grew up on my mom making twice baked potatoes, and I have to say that I love them. I started making these about a year ago in our own household and have used a lot of different methods, but here is the basic recipe which anything and everything can be added too!

Twice Baked Potatoes

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Salt
Pepper
Sour Cream
Butter
Cheese
Garlic
Onions
Bacon Bits
Veggies
**Whatever you have on hand you can add in. Whatever you would eat on a potato can go into twice baked potatoes.

This is a very flexible and adaptable recipe.


1) Take as many potatoes as you want to bake, wash well, and prick the skins with a fork in several places. Bake until done. Temperature does not matter - just use whatever setting it is on. Check after 30 minutes, turn or rotate in the oven as needed. (HINT: bake them while you are baking a casserole or breads on the bottom oven shelf and save re-heating your kitchen!)
The other option is to heat them in the microwave until they are soft.

2) Put potatoes on a wire rack to cool. Once they are able to be handled without scorching your fingers, (sometimes I use a pot holder and still do it while they are hot if I am short on time) slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the innards with a spoon and dump them into a large bowl. Set hollowed shells aside on a cookie sheet.

3)Take innards and mash them with a small quantity of butter and sour cream. If you would like to season them, add salt and pepper. At this point you can add anything and everything you want in your potato. I sometimes add sauteed garlic and onions, bacon bits, veggies, whatever you want.

4) Spoon potatoes back into shell. Top with shredded cheese

5)Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

Brian loves these are they are great to make for a big party. The last time I made them, I only did it with butter, sour cream, bacon, and cheese. I accidentally cooked them a little longer and they came out like potato skins. They were yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment