Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Grandma Newby's Fudge

Since it is Thanksgiving, I just have to do a family recipe. Six years ago, I spent my first Thanksgiving away from my family and in another state. This was the first time I was able to meet Grandma and Grandpa Newby, as well as Grandma and Grandpa Gus!

Brian's grandma makes fudge every Thanksgiving, and it is one part that I know that Brian will be missing this Thanksgiving as we stay here in Texas. We have had the blessing to be able to go to Illinois every Thanksgiving except this year. While we will be missing our family there, we will also be enjoying this great recipe!

This summer, I also taught my sister how to make this fudge and it was a great bonding time to work together in the kitchen!

Grandma Newby’s Fudge Recipe

3 cups sugar
¾ cup margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
1-12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-7 oz marshmallow crème
1 cup nuts (optional)

Combine sugar, margarine, and milk in heavy 2 ½ quart sauce pan. Bring to full rolling boil over medium heat. Stir constantly. Continue boiling for 5 minutes over medium heat or until candy-thermometer reaches 234 degrees. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Add marshmallow crème, vanilla, and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Cool at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment