Friday, August 5, 2016

Pierogi Dough

I have always made fake pierogi's in my house.  It was easier and less time consuming than from scratch, so wonton wrappers were my friend!

On Wednesday I decided to be adventurous (well to be honest, last week while meal planning) and make them from scratch with leftover loaded potatoes from a previous dinner.

My main problem has always been the rolling of the dough, but I had a thought that worked out so much better than I thought it would!  I used my pasta roller (after cleaning it up) that I had picked up years and years ago, and gave it a whirl!  It made it so much easier than rolling by hand. 

Below is the recipe for the dough.  The filling is mashed potatoes and cheese.  There are other fillings, but this is great for just the dough!

I went with a few different recipes and adapted.  Still not as good as Mary Lou's but close!

Ingredients:
4 cups of flour, plus more if needed
1 egg
½ tsp salt
1 cup potato water at room temperature (or regular water)

Directions:
1.  In a food processer blend the flour, salt and egg. 
2.  Slowly add the water until you get a ball.
3.  Knead until all incorporated and let rest for an hour.

Roll through pasta roller and then cut with a glad/canning lid/biscuit cutter. Fill and seal.  Boil and then pan fry with butter and onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment