Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tortilla soup

As I was in a clean out the fridge mode, and it was cold again, I decided to make a tortilla soup earlier this week.  It was a great use of some homemade chicken stock, shredded chicken, and my pantry staples!

Brian and I both enjoyed it as well as Brian's parents when we supplied dinner for watching the kids last night!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

6 cups chicken broth/stock (I used homemade)
1/2 a large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
Shredded chicken (I used about a cup--this is what we had left, definitely could put more to taste)
1 can of rotel
1 can of corn
1 package taco seasoning (I used my own)
1 teaspoon cumin (to taste or optional)


Directions:
1. Sauté the onion, bell pepper, and garlic on the stove to develop the flavors (3-5 minutes on medium/medium high).
2.  In a crockpot or finish adding to the pot you sautéed the above mixture in, add the rest of the ingredients, heat until hot!
3. I did on low for four hours and just adjusted seasoning at the end!

Add any garnish you would like...cheese, chips, avocado, salsa, guacamole, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment