Monday, July 2, 2012

Raspberry Jam

Well, I have been thinking a while about canning.  I have pinned some ideas and then worked on getting my supplies ready.  I already had pots, canning jars, so I picked up a canning funnel, and a jar holder.

My wonderful husband actually  made the jam for me, because I was taking care of our 8 week old, but I helped by finding the recipe!

I have read a lot that canning really doesn't save you money.  As the avid couponer that I am, I would probably agree that for the price of everything, I might have saved a dollar, but that would get eaten up in time, energy, etc.

For me, canning is not about savings, but what is going in to the food that you eat.  I am trying really hard to make sure that we are eating healthy food and keeping things natural when we can.  I found raspberries on sale at a local store, and for the price figured that I could try canning!The original recipe is linked, below are my changes! I love the simplicity of this recipe and that you don't have to use pectin.  The fruit has enough pectin in it.


Raspberry Jam

Ingredients:
4 cups mashed raspberries
4 cups sugar


**You can use any combination as long as fruit and sugar are equal.


  • Directions:
  • 1. Sterilize your jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.  Then store in a warm oven to keep them sterile!
  • 2. While that is happening heat the berries until they reach a full rolling boil.
  • 3. Boil for two minutes.
  • 4. Add the sugar and stir well.
  • 5. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and boil for 6 minutes.
  • 6. Remove from heat and add to your sterile jars (mine made 3 pint sized jars).
  • 7. Seal jars by placing in water and bring to a boil and let sit for 10 minutes.
  • 8. Take out with your jar holder, and set in a draft free place for 24 hours.
  • **You need the 24 hours for the jam to set completely.  It will look running, but wait the whole 24 hours and you will have the right consistency!

No comments:

Post a Comment